Today I wanted to tell you all about an amazing resource I’ve been following for quite a long time. Shane Hurlbut is a world-renowned cinematographer who shoots multimillion dollar blockbuster films. He’s known for Terminator Salvation, Need for Speed, Act of Valor, and many more projects that just ooze visual awesomeness.
Shane has a website (here) where he teaches all that he knows about cinematography (which is a lot) in both online courses you can purchase and through his mentor program called Shane’s Inner Circle. The Inner Circle is a vast community of filmmakers who, while learning from Shane, are honing their skills and learning what they need to thrive in the fast paced world of film making.
I’m a huge fan of self-education and bootstrapping your own careers and I love resources like Shane’s site because it gives you a set of skills that you’ll use throughout your career but it doesn’t bother you with deadlines or drama. The Inner Circle is a self-paced Curriculum that gives you all you need to build a solid foundation for your career.
- Leadership and Responsibility: How to motivate your film making team and communicate your ideas.
- Setting Yourself Up for Success: How to stand out in your market and crushing your pre-production phase.
- Composition and Storytelling: How to tell your story through composition and deliberate visuals to enhance your project.
- Camera Movement: How, When, and Why to Move the Camera.
- Basic Lighting Techniques: Shaping light and training your eye to see what the audience will see.
This is just a small taste of what you’ll learn in the Inner Circle. It’s well worth the price of admission but, like all education, it is only as good as what you do with it. So, if you’re hungry for knowledge and want to take your skills to a new level, you should check out the Inner Circle.
As always, I want to let you all know that I’m not sponsored or paid by Shane Hurlbut to make this post. This information is something that I personally use and personally endorse and is in no way encouraged, sponsored, or otherwise compensated by or for at all.